End of Season advice for clubs from our official insurance partner ExtraCover InsuranceEnd of season advice.
Now the season has ended, it's a good time to draw up a check list for the winter months for when your cricket ground, pavilion, groundsmans store and any outbuildings are likely to be unoccupied or used much less frequently.
Our official insurance partner ExtraCover Insurance have provided the following advice to get you started.
- Fire Extinguishers: Check that the fire extinguishers on the premises have had their annual service inspection & are fit for purpose.
- Door & Window locks:Ensure that door & window locks work properly & are utilised. Any shutters &/or grills are closed & locked down â€“ not only do these protect against theft & malicious damage but the can help guard against arson attacks through broken windows.
- Water pipes & supply:Lag water pipers/tanks in buildings & if premises are to be left unoccupied, turn off the supply at the mains & drain down the system to avoid freezing up.
- Preventative measures:Equipment & kit which is vulnerable to water damage should be placed on stillage, at least 10cm above the floor is recommended, this is particularly important for basements & cellars as well as areas such as the groundsmans store which often have pitch dressing products and expensive machinery.
- Regular inspections: It is very important that club buildings are inspected at least once a week, to ensure that any problems can be identified & prevented from escalating. If you donâ€™t have any willing volunteers draw up a rota so that tasks can be shared. Weâ€™d recommend that two people undertake the inspection so thereâ€™s no risk of a lone volunteer being injured & unable to summon help (be sure to take a mobile phone just in case).
Need some advice?
The ExtraCover Insurance team are here to offer help and advice to all cricket clubs affiliated to Staffordshire Cricket regardless if youâ€™re insured with them or not, call them free on 0800 289301, email firstname.lastname@example.org or send them a tweet to @extracoverins.
Posted on Thursday 1st January 1970, in